Thursday, August 26, 2010

When Bad Things Happen to Good Organs



It's the call no organist wants to receive in the middle of the night - or in the middle of the day as I did!

"Tony, they've dropped something on the organ and one of the keys broke off."

Naturally, I couldn't stay away. I was at church within a couple of hours where I found a key glued back in place, and not too badly I might add. BUT, two of the WHITE keys in the MIDDLE of the keyboard REFUSED TO SING!

The first person I called was our organ technician, Dave Klug. Dave promised to come on Monday to see what needed to be done. It wasn't that big an issue, really. The weight of the object that fell had cause the contact points beneath the two keys to move so that when a key was played, there was no signal to open the pipe. Easily fixed.

So we had one service played completely on the piano. No big deal and lots of people enjoyed hearing more piano. I could have used another week on that Rheinberger prelude anyway.

Maybe this isn't such a great story, but I really wanted an excuse to post this really picture. The manuals (keyboards) are folded up and back so that the technician has access to what he needs. It's a neat photo - but let's hope we don't have to see it again!

Oh, the answers to your questions. 1. No, the organ does not have a roll-top cover. 2. No, I don't know why.

No comments: