Thursday, August 26, 2010

River City Men's Chorus Encore Performance! August 27th at 8 PM

My name is Tony and I’m a Facebook addict. (Hi Tony!) Well, maybe not an addict, but I do spend a lot of time there and I’ve seen some really interesting things – not the least of which was an invitation to join a men’s choir. I wouldn’t have thought to start a choir on Facebook, but R. Wayne Bailey, Choral Director and Professor at Florida State College Jacksonville, did - and with some pretty stunning results.

The River City Men’s Chorus started as a 6-8 week commitment of rehearsals followed by a single concert. I sang in the Duval County All-City Chorus under Mr. Bailey a very long time ago (1980!) and had always hoped there would be another opportunity, so I said “yes.”

To make it even better, the concert would be a benefit for In The Pink, a non-profit salon/boutique that caters to women living with cancer. You can read more about their work at www.jaxinthepink.com.

The concert featured a choir of about 30 men singing a wide range of musical styles including classical, spiritual and gospel – something for everyone to enjoy. The concert also included performances by other Jacksonville area musicians.

This successful benefit raised over $1,700.00. It was so successful (and so much fun!) that we’re doing it again! See a repeat performance on Friday, August 27th at St. Paul’s by the Sea Episcopal Church (465 11th Ave N in Jacksonville Beach). The concert starts at 8:00 PM and I hope to see you there!

No comments: