Thursday, February 21, 2019

Music for the Seventh Sunday after Epiphany, February 24, 2019



Prelude: My Jesus, I Love Thee (St. Mark’s Ringers) arr. Brenda Austin

William Ralph Featherston (1848-1875) wrote the poetry for this hymn when he was between 12 and 16 years old. The story goes that his aunt sought its publication. Featherston never heard the hymn sung. He died at the age of 27 and it wasn’t until after his death that Adoniram Judson Gordon added the music.
My Jesus, I love thee, I know thou art mine;
for thee all the follies of sin I resign;
my gracious Redeemer, my Savior art thou;
If ever I loved thee, my Jesus ‘tis now.

Gathering Hymn: Lord of Glory, You Have Bought Us (Hyfrydol) ELW 707

Hyfrydol is one of the most commonly used tunes in modern hymnals. The composer, Roland Prichard (1811-1877) was born in North Wales and was an advocate for assembly singing in a part of the country that, at that time, had no church choirs.

If you want to pronounce the tune name authentically, the “H” is voiced, the “y’s” are pronounced like “u” in “cup,” and the “f” is pronounced like an English “v,’ – “Huvrudol.” (Hymnal Companion, Evangelical Lutheran Worship)

I’ve been saying the name of this tune incorrectly all my life! In spite of that, I can’t help but sing with gusto and fervor. For me, it is one of the most satisfying tunes in all Christendom.

Hymn of the Day: Forgive Our Sins as We Forgive (St. Anne)
Rosamond Herklots (1905-1987) had an active life away from hymn writing – something she started later in life. Two decades of her life were spent as secretary for a neurologist in England. She also worked at the Association for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus in London.

The text is paired with solid tune St. Anne, attributed to an English composer, William Croft (ca. 1678-1727).


Musical Offering (Festival Choir): Teach Each Other in Wisdom   Bradley Ellingboe

The text of Ellingboe’s anthem is drawn from Colossians3:16.


Communion Hymns:
In All Our Grief
(Fredericktown) ELW 615
Charles R. Anders (b. 1929) wrote this tune and named it for the town of Frederick, Maryland where he was born. I also love to sing this tune with ELW 303 – “When in Our Music God is Glorified.”

Lord Jesus, Think on Me (Southwell) ELW 599

Sending Hymn: All Creatures, Worship God Most High (Lasst uns erfreun) ELW 835

Postlude: Now the Green Blade Rises Wayne L. Wold
The organ postlude is an arrangement of ELW 379 with the same title. It pairs nicely with the second paragraph of today’s second reading. Many churches associate the tune with Easter themes due to the popularity of this text, but it was first used as a French Christmas carol – thus the tune name Noel Nouvelet.
St. Mark's Zimmer/Colby organ
sources:
Wikipedia
Hymnary.org
Hymnal Companion, Evangelical Lutheran Worship

ELW = Evangelical Lutheran Worship,published by Augsburg Fortress 2006

No comments: