Friday, September 18, 2015

Canticles of Praise and Hymns of Lamentation

Our Christian faith begs to be sung.  From “Glory to God in the Highest,” to “Hallelujah,” we have a canticle of praise or a lamentation for every moment.  We have hymns that instruct and hymns that compel us to live lives grounded in the gospel.

So many times someone has mentioned a hymn and I’ve exclaimed, “That’s my favorite!”  Most of my choirs have simply laughed when they hear me make that claim because they know I’ll probably claim another as a favorite in just a few minutes.  Usually, if someone asks me what my favorite hymn is, I’ll answer, “The one that I’m singing right now, of course!”

But this post is not about MY favorite hymns.  I’ve invited some guest bloggers to talk about their favorite hymns today.  People of St. Mark’s, you will know some of them, perhaps all of them.  In the comment section at the end of this blog post, I invite all readers to respond with stories of your own favorite hymns.

“Guide Me, Oh Thou Great Redeemer” is my daily prayer for living God’s will – not my will.  I pray to follow God in my thoughts and actions.  I ask “Thy will be done” even though I want my way instead of God’s way.

My mother, Margaret Jeneva Yost Johnson, taught me when I pray to ask for God’s will to be done, not what I want.

Margaret Walker











“Amazing Grace”
I find the lyrics so very uplifting and the history behind the composition very moving. The only questionable phrase would be "saved a wretch like me," which I believe is often misunderstood. It isn't referring to a miserable individual, but rather the challenges we all face - and He is there to save us, redeem us.

This was my father's favorite hymn. When he died unexpectedly it was the first music that came to mind - a day when the earth stood still for me. And I was comforted. At his memorial service I wanted to sing this hymn - it was feared that I wouldn't be able to do it...that I would break down in tears. I not only sang all verses, but did so with a smile on my face and gladness in my heart! Every time we sing this hymn I think of my dad and I am joyful! 

Jane, a member of the Festival Choir, St. Mark’s Ringers, and Alleluia Ringers 












“What a Friend We Have in Jesus”

When my mother was 20 years old (1922) her father sent her to a lumber camp with her husband and newborn baby, to be the cook for 40 men!  Upper Peninsula of Michigan during the winter- snowed in for months- she said that singing "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" is all that kept her going!  Whenever I hear it, I have memories of her and tears in my eyes. Can't even imagine that kind of work- no electric stove and 3 full meals a day to prepare!  Thank goodness times have changed and women can say, "No thank you- I'll pass on that opportunity!"

Jill, a member of the Festival Choir


Franz Josef Haydn composed THE CREATION in 1798.  At the end of the first of three parts of the composition is “The Heavens Are Telling”…the Glory of God.  This is a harmonious anthem that I learned while singing in the Touring Choir at Grove City College, where I met my future husband.  Whenever we went to his home, his mother would sit down to the piano and start the introduction.  Instantly the entire family would gather around her to sing the parts.  I was welcomed so warmly by all of them, but especially when they learned that I could sing the alto part of this song.  Even after we were married, this ritual continued for years.  Every time I hear or sing this song, my thoughts return to these moments uplifted by the spiritually triumphant harmonies of the family’s blended voices.  And someday I pray to hear the heavenly choruses lifting their voices in joyful praise, singing “The Heavens Are Telling.”
Lynette Weber

Among dozens of favorite hymns, one has always stood out as particularly meaningful to me—“Beautiful Savior”.  I remember singing this wonderful text from an early age in church and also listening to the iconic choral arrangement by F. Melius Christiansen.  I was privileged to have a choir director in high school in the early 1960’s who had been a soloist at St. Olaf College under F. Melius many decades earlier.  Dr. Dryden always ended each of our concerts with Beautiful Savior, just as all of the choirs at St. Olaf have continued to do for over a century.  What a special tradition!  I have been able to attend six St. Olaf concerts over the years and each time, hearing this incredible hymn tune has been a highlight of my life.  This heavenly music will continue to inspire me and cause grand goosebumps whenever I hear it!
Mark Weber



“Living for Jesus”
This is a favorite of Rev. Dr. Donald R. Pederson who grew up in the 40s and 50s “amongst farmers and laborers.”

Most of us were relatively on the poor scale, making just enough to live on and get by.

For leisure time, since we did not have much money at all. We did a lot of singing.  Bible camps were especially helpful, and we learned a lot of new songs.  In fact, that is where I learned this hymn “Living for Jesus.”

The chorus, that is, the refrain, summarizes all the other verses.  It focuses on Jesus as Lord and Savior.  It focuses on the atonement. It focuses on the exclusive nature of one’s relationship with God in the person of Jesus Christ.  It focuses on the fact that we live for Christ alone.

It stresses themes of the environment in which I grew up, which was the Scandinavian pietistic environment: living a life that is true, striving to please him, yielding allegiance. . .

Verse four is a grand verse:
            Living for Jesus through earth’s little while,
            my dearest treasure – the light of his smile;
            seeking the lost ones he died to redeem,
            bringing the weary to find rest in him.*



Now, what are some of your favorites and why?

Photos top to bottom:
Margaret Walker
Jane 
Jill's Mom (left) and Jill (right)
Mark and Lynette Weber
Rev. Dr. Donald R. Pederson

My apologies for the white background.  This is a known blogger issue that hasn't been fixed.  Since I get to use this service for free, I won't complain!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may say it is cheating, but I am picking to favorites that work together for me. These would be, "Behold a Host Arrayed in White” and “For All the Saints”. All Saints Day has become my favorite in the church year, as it brings a sense of connectedness with those around me and with those who have entered the Church Triumphant. I especially think of my dad, and the music on this day is healing. I plan to have both of these hymns played at my own funeral.

Behold a Host sounds nothing less than the sweet lullaby, in its lyrics and especially its music. It gives a sense of "singing" a person to sleep as they depart. The three-four time sets a graceful pace for this song, that talks of the hard journey of life ending in God’s embrace. The image gives me peace when I think on those I miss, and I never make it past the first few lines without deeply feeling this.

And then, For All the Saints comes blasting in, announcing the triumph and majesty of God’s Kingdom. There is power in this hymn, that again talks of God’s presence throughout life and in death. The words are bold and the music fills my chest with a warm hope. I don’t get very far through this one either, but the tears reflect a kind of relief – like everything is going to be okay.

Tony Cruz said...

Dear Anonymous, thank you for this thoughtful comment. May I ask you first name?