Friday, May 2, 2008

Scandinavian Vespers on May 4th at 6:00 p.m.



My Grandfather, Ellef Johannes Everson, was confirmed at Bad Axe Lutheran Church in Vernon County, Wisconsin in 1924 by the Reverend O.J. Nesheim (bottom photo). His father was John Everson and John's father was Jens Iverson (James Everson) who came to Wisconsin with his parents and sisters in the 1860's. They were one of the families that helped to build the church at Bad Axe. (The other picture is from my own confirmation at the same church, about 52 years later.) When Norwegians, Swedes, Danes, and Finns came to America they brought their musically-rich religious heritage with them. We'll be celebrating the music of these peoples as part of a vespers service. There will be Scandinavian hymns and handbell and choral music by Scandinavian and Scandinavian-American composers. A reception will follow. (I don't want to give away any surprises, but my krumkake griddle is warming up. . .) Musical selections will include Finlandia (Be Still, My Soul), Thy Holy Wings, and How Great Thou Art. I hope to see you there! By the way, Grandpa Ellef is in the middle row, third from the left.

No comments: