Friday, July 13, 2007

ALCM: Houston on Tuesday 7/10/2007


Tuesday was probably the busiest day. It began with Jazz Morning Prayer at First Presbyterian Church (bottom)and included a plenary session with Reverend David Miller and two workshop sessions.

In the afternoon we went to Christ the King Lutheran Church, home of 1995 Noack organ (middle picture) where we heard a recital by the German organist Ludger Lohman.
After that, there was a visit to The Shepherd School of Music at Rice University (top photo). The organ is a Fisk-Rosales installed in 1997 in the Edythe Bates Old Recital Hall. As you can see, the room fits the organ perfectly (and it should, it was built for the organ!). The acoustics were incredible. Especially suited to French organ literature, it had some of the most beautiful string stops that I've ever heard. Now I know what I want for my birthday. . .
As if that wasn't enough, we went back to to Christ the King for a Bach Vespers Service featuring the Bach Society and J.S. Bach's Magnificat. With an orchestra, a full choir, and a singing assembly of around 300, this was definitely a highlight of the week. Now I know what I want for Christmas. . .

No comments: