Tuesday, May 28, 2019

A Post of Gratitude




I write this article to voice my appreciation for all who have supported me on my quest
First Summer of Classes, 2013
to receive the Master of Arts in Church Music degree from Trinity Lutheran Seminary in Columbus, Ohio.  You can read about the beginning of the journey on my blog at
http://smljax.blogspot.com/2013/06/a-new-endeavor.html.

Financial support from St. Mark’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was critical. This support came primarily through the line item for continuing education in the spending authorization.  There were also several times when our Council approved extra money when the academic and financial load got a little heavy. Thank you to St. Mark’s.

Also thank you to the St. Mark’s Foundation for giving grants that helped me to complete my work.

Thank you to those who made additional contributions to the continuing education line item.  Contributions to the Christmas purse over the last several years have also helped to pay for classes and books. Thank you to all of you for your financial and moral support.

You may be curious to know what requirements I had to fulfill to receive this degree.

Since the degree is actually a theological degree (rather than musical), there were several core theology courses: Systematic Theology, Introduction to Worship, New Testament, Old Testament, Lutheran Confessions, and Themes in Church History.

There were also some core classroom music courses: Music in the Contemporary Church, Music and Worship in the African American Tradition, Music and Liturgy, Leading the Church’s Song, and Building Parish Music Ministries.



Liturgical Choir was an important summer course.  This meant working with my colleague/classmates (and now dear friends) to provide musical support for the daily worship services at TLS.
Ready for Worship in Schenck Chapel

Some of the friends I worked with and our Professor, May Schwarz
Most of the above I completed on campus in Ohio during the three-week summer term.  I did a couple via Skype during the regular academic year.  (Old Testament was not offered by Trinity at a convenient time, so I took it through Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary in Columbia, SC.)

John Carter and Me

During the regular academic year, I studied “applied music” privately.  This included three semesters of organ study with Dr. Laura Ellis at the University of Florida, voice lessons with Dr. James Hall of the University of North Florida, and composition with Bob Moore and John Carter.

Additional degree requirements called for 13 hours of electives, Boundaries Training, and a Racial Awareness Seminar. Finally, I was required to demonstrate musical competence through the completion of two “juries.” My juries included composition and keyboard/organ performance.



Several people have asked me, “What’s next?”

I’m fairly certain that my formal academic education has come to an end.  I look forward to spending some time living with what I have learned and putting it to deeper practice. I’m considering a certification program through the American Guild of Organists. Mostly, I am looking forward to becoming active again in the AGO and the Association of Lutheran Church Musicians.
Trinity Lutheran Seminary helped to form me as a musician and as a Christian.


I am honored to have received this degree and feel a great sense of accomplishment.  I hope St. Mark’s shares this feeling with me because I could not have done it without you!
Trinity Lutheran Seminary Class of 2019


3 comments:

Ray Booth said...

We are all proud of you and this great accomplishment. The people of Saint Mark's look forward to your continuing leadership in maintaining our tradition of excellence in worship and music. Ray

Sue said...

Your music leadership has sustained the people of St.Mark's through some difficult times. We believe that the music you present is uplifting and helps to carry the meaning of scripture. We look forward to your continuing musical offerings through the "ringers", the choir, and your own organ and piano hymns. Sue & Bill Rust

Unknown said...

Thank you for your exemplary sharing of talent and dedication at St. Mark's. We are the benefactors of all your training. Over the years you have been a solid Christian "rock" upon which we could stand as we weathered some difficult times. Now we're able to grow and serve the Lord, thanks to your leadership and that of Pastor Locke.
Lynette & Mark