Friday, July 4, 2008

AGO Thursday: Daily Activities

Today I heard two concerts. The first concert was performed at Nativity of Our Lord Catholic Church in St. Paul, MN where Jeremy Filsell, principal organist of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in our nation's capitol, played a newly-installed (2007) Casavant organ. From his program of Rachmaninoff and Dupre, I most enjoyed the Trois Hymnes of Dupre.

Following that was a concert by Stewart Wayne Foster at Augustana Lutheran Church. The organ there was built by Glatter-Gotz and later work was done by Rosales (a builder whose work I much admire!). We heard a varied program of Bach, Buxtehude, Karg-Elert, and others. I particularly enjoyed Brian Sawyers' Rising Sun and selectons from Karg-Elert's Seven Pastels from the Lake of Constance. From the latter, I shall look for a recording of The Sun's Evensong which, to my ears, had lots of jazz influence.


Also on this day I attended a seminar about Scandinavian Organ Music and the regional divisions had their meetings.

Top photo: The organ at Augustana Lutheran Church
Bottom: The organ at Natvity of Our Lord Catholic Church.

No comments: